KFAI Fresh Air Incorporated is looking for an energetic and motivated leader for the position of General Manager. KFAI is a mission-driven, volunteer-based community radio station delivering information, arts, and entertainment programming to the Twin Cities of Minnesota since 1978. Always evolving, KFAI aims to provide access to underserved or marginalized populations by fostering relationship-building and meaningful, lasting partnerships between communities of diverse racial, social, and economic backgrounds while upholding values of democracy and social justice.
The General Manager leads a small hard-working staff, and a community of creative and socially engaged volunteers who are committed to expanding the future of KFAI in an ever-changing media landscape. As an essential member of the Twin Cities radio community, KFAI’s new leader is powered by resilient curiosity, who finds great joy in collaboration and is committed to upholding the values and mission of the organization.
Thank you for your interest in employment at KFAI. The window to apply closes at 5:00 pm on April 15th, 2020. Please have your application materials (cover letter & resume) submitted before that time.
Our selection process
After careful evaluation of each applicant’s qualifications, we will reach out to schedule personal interviews. In most cases, if we have not contacted you within a month, your application is no longer under consideration. Because the first step of our selection process a comparative review of application materials, it is not necessary to follow up with us.
We welcome you to share this posting with all appropriate entities.
KFAI GENERAL MANAGER POSITION DESCRIPTION
Full Time – Exempt Position
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct reports: Full-time, part-time, and contract staff, and volunteers*. The full-time staff includes an Office Administrator, Content Manager/Underwriting Sales Manager, and Volunteer Coordinator/Event Manager.
The contract staff consists of an accountant, a team of underwriting associates, and project engineers/programmers.
*KFAI volunteers perform a range of station functions, including programming, production, engineering, and special event support and coordination.
KFAI is a volunteer-based community radio station that exists to broadcast information, arts and entertainment programming for an audience of diverse racial, social, and economic backgrounds. By providing a voice for people ignored or misrepresented by mainstream media, KFAI increases understanding between peoples and communities, while fostering the values of democracy and social justice.
The General Manager is responsible for the overall leadership of the station, including staff and volunteers, management, and significant fundraising efforts, while ensuring that all activities are in accordance with the station’s mission. Working with the Board of Directors, the General Manager provides strategic leadership by developing and implementing the station’s strategic plan and provides regular reports to the Board of Directors
on the organizational status of the station. The General Manager serves as a station ambassador to the community. Work is performed in a broadcast station facility 24/7 and they must be willing and able to respond to emergencies during evening and weekend hours as needed.
- Ensures that KFAI’s policies and procedures are followed organization-wide, including annual planning, staff and station evaluation, addressing community feedback, grievance procedures, and maintenance of station files.
- Leads staff and volunteers under the direction of the station’s policies and procedures manual.
- Ensures compliance with FCC, CPB, IRS regulations, and guidelines to meet industry standards.
- Oversees all fundraising activities, including on-air membership drives and campaigns, community development and outreach efforts, and public events.
- Cultivates relationships with local municipalities, community organizations, businesses, and individuals to maximize fundraising resources and expand KFAI’s community engagement across the Twin Cities Metro and surrounding locations.
- Creates an annual development plan which includes on-air pledge drives, fundraising events, grant writing, and statistical reporting.
- Leads donor cultivation efforts and creates lasting relationships across multiple community sectors.
- Cultivates database of potential donors and leads station’s efforts to solicit both restricted and non-restricted grants from individual, corporate, government, and foundation entities.
- Develops and maintains a collaborative, productive, engaged, and inclusive working environment.
- In cooperation with the Leadership Committee, takes responsibility for the hiring, development, evaluation, and termination of the full-time, part-time, contract, and volunteer personnel according to the station policies and procedures manual.
- Facilitates staff participation in planning and executing station priorities like fundraising programming, event planning, and organizational development.
- Works in partnership with the Board of Directors to maintain administrative direction with staffing roles and responsibilities and developing improved regulatory systems.
- Maintains approachable and consistent communication styles with staff and volunteers that highlights collaboration and teamwork.
- Actively participates in the community, speak publicly on behalf of KFAI, and serves as an official station representative.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors liaison, attends all meetings and takes primary responsibility for the Community Advisory Board.
- Oversees coordinated and consistent communications across all platforms, including internal and external communications.
- Conducts ongoing target audience and market research; develops and implements effective strategies for the retention and growth of KFAI’s currency and relevancy to the community.
- Actively engages with all volunteers on-site at the station and off-site at special events.
- Empowers the volunteer community by recognizing and leveraging their talents, connections, and initiative to advance station priorities.
- Consistently presents and participates in all-station meetings.
- Regular participation at Volunteer Committee meetings and outreach events.
- Facilitates and manages positive, collaborative, and inclusive staff to volunteer working relationships.
- In cooperation with the Board of Directors, prepares an annual budget.
- Regularly monitors the station’s operations activities to ensure compliance with the annual budget.Collaborates with the Board of Directors to ensure the ongoing financial health of the station.
- In cooperation with the Board of Directors, stays abreast of and ensures compliance with all applicable financial regulations and accounting principles for nonprofit corporations.
Broadcast Programming and Training
- Consults regularly with the Content Manager, Volunteer Coordinator/Event Manager, and Content Advisory Committee to ensure the design and implementation of programming that builds and sustains a diverse audience.
- Ensures broadcast programming and operations training is conducted on a regular basis.
- Maintains appropriate systems to ensure the highest level of professional mission-centered programming.
- Oversees technical staff and technical priorities.
- In concert with the technical staff, provides useful information and recommendations to the Board regarding future technology and equipment requirements.
- High-quality leadership skills with the ability to work cooperatively with a wide range of individuals and community organizations.
- Possesses demonstrated evidence of ability to lead with the utmost respect for diversity, inclusion, and human rights.
- Understanding of financial management, including experience preparing and overseeing budgets.
- Experience overseeing, coordinating, and leading staff within the context of a large volunteer community base.
- Ability to resolve problems and conflicts effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in office productivity software.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, nonprofit administration, or related field.
- Prior experience in broadcast media preferred.
- Ability and experience in fundraising and building community support and engagement.
- Experience managing a volunteer-driven nonprofit preferred.
• Salary based on qualifications and experience.
• Benefits include employer-paid health and dental insurance, PTO (vacation/sick), holiday pay, and 403b plan.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com Subject: Attention GM Search Committee.
Please submit application materials by 4/15/2020.
KFAI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants for employment shall be considered
without regard to race, color, gender identity, gender expression, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory
disability, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, political preference, marital status, sexual
orientation, class, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, HIV
status, family or parental status (including pregnancy). Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.